-Sir Winston Churchill, British Politician and Prime Minister
Little Green Footballs Republican Conservative blogger Charles Johnson has suddenly become a rational Republican and has turned on the Radical Right Wing and calls it like it is. He will be vilified by the Right and if they could they would pillory him and burn him at the stake for his criticism and defection. What I hope is that other Republicans like Charles Johnson will have the courage to follow suit. The fact is that the Radical Evangelical Right has captured the Republican Party, supported by such luminaries as Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck and Bill (the clown) O'Reilly. The Evangelical movement has supported candidates for the senate and the house that have embraced their agenda and vote the Evangelical position.
Charles Johnson states his reason for breaking with the Conservative movement; they adhere to the following;
"1. Support for fascists, both in America (see: Pat Buchanan, Robert Stacy McCain, etc.) and in Europe (see: Vlaams Belang, BNP, SIOE, Pat Buchanan, etc.)
2. Support for bigotry, hatred, and white supremacism (see: Pat Buchanan, Ann Coulter, Robert Stacy McCain, Lew Rockwell, etc.)
3. Support for throwing women back into the Dark Ages, and general religious fanaticism (see: Operation Rescue, anti-abortion groups, James Dobson, Pat Robertson, Tony Perkins, the entire religious right, etc.)
4. Support for anti-science bad craziness (see: creationism, climate change denialism, Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann, James Inhofe, etc.)
5. Support for homophobic bigotry (see: Sarah Palin, Dobson, the entire religious right, etc.)
6. Support for anti-government lunacy (see: tea parties, militias, Fox News, Glenn Beck, etc.)
7. Support for conspiracy theories and hate speech (see: Alex Jones, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Birthers, creationists, climate deniers, etc.)
8. A right-wing blogosphere that is almost universally dominated by raging hate speech (see: Hot Air, Free Republic, Ace of Spades, etc.)
9. Anti-Islamic bigotry that goes far beyond simply criticizing radical Islam, into support for fascism, violence, and genocide (see: Pamela Geller, Robert Spencer, etc.)
10.Hatred for President Obama that goes far beyond simply criticizing his policies, into racism, hate speech, and bizarre conspiracy theories (see: witch doctor pictures, tea parties, Birthers, Michelle Malkin, Fox News, World Net Daily, Newsmax, and every other right wing source)"
I have been talking about these same ideas for the last two years and it is good to see more Republicans pick up on the hypocrisy of the Right and it's racist, homophobic Hate Agenda. Johnson had better be prepared to be attacked for heresy and betraying the faith. There is no discussion or questioning allowed on the Right, no intellectual inquiry will be tolerated. It is a philosophy of intolerance and hate. They hate gays, hate Obama, hate people of color, hate illegal immigrants, hate Hispanics, hate liberals, hate agnostics, hate atheists, hate Muslims, hate people who support abortions, hate health care for all Americans, hate Freemasons, hate inclusion, hate women's rights, hate toleration, hate Democrats, man that is a lot of hate. They do love stuff also such as Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann and Glenn Beck, not exactly and intellectual brain trust. Now they will hate Charles Johnson for his betrayal of their hate filled agenda. I too was a Conservative but they lost me with their hate and intolerance and their hypocrisy and distortion of reality and their oppression of all those less fortunate.
I lived through the segregation and civil rights periods in America and was always made to feel that I was not a citizen of this country, although I would describe myself as one of the most patriotic people in America. I am still made to feel the same way today. My degrees mean nothing, that I taught school for 33 years means nothing, that I've paid my taxes, own a home, and raised my child to be an educated, (college graduate) law-abiding, contributing member of society means nothing. It's the color of my skin that immediately places me in the "not good enough" category with these folks. I would die for our country. What the far right politicians and their supporters are doing to President Obama, I've seen and experienced and am experiencing. I know their goal is to send the message that he is incompetent, in spite of evidence to the contrary. Their main problem is that he is an African American in the White House, a position that they think should be reserved for white men. If they successfully undermine his presidency, that will give them fuel to continue their campaign of hate toward the groups you mention in your post. A successful Obama presidency opens the door to the idea that other minorities, LGBTQ persons, women, and others can be successful politicians. This is as it should be.
What none of these people seem to realize is that their hatred will tear this country apart if we don't stop them. They have the same attitudes and beliefs about people they do not like that have been seen throughout history in totalitarian governments. Although patriotism, freedom, respect for our troops, the Bill of Rights, and the Constitution are used constantly in their dialogue, in reality, they have no respect for any of them. Their agenda is power for power's sake, and the total domination and subjugation of individual rights.